Thursday, June 3, 2010

Promise Ring

I was given to Sally the night of her 16th birthday. Jared told her that as long as she kept me on her finger, they would never be apart. Jared was 17 when he gave me to Sally and now 4 years later Sally’s in college and Jared, well Jared’s gone. It was a terrible night, the roads were slick with rain and hail. Jared was driving over to me and Sally, she just told him the day before that she was having his baby at 20. He cried with joy when she told him. He knew now that it was the right time to ask her what he’s always wanted to ask her. He wanted her to marry him. The police showed up to Sally’s door hours later. We both could tell that something was very wrong. He was dead. His car had flipped over 4 times and hit a tree.“We’re sorry, said the police, “we knew he meant a lot to you, we found this in his pocket.” It was another ring, just like me, an engagement ring. Sally has never been the same.

1 comment: